Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Review: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Hate U GiveThe Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a book that I’ve been hearing about since the moment it was released. It’s gotten so much buzz that I was almost hesitant to read it because it might not meet up to my expectations. But, I’m so glad that I finally read this one! It’s fantastic! One of those books that everyone should read – it explores some very current topics in a very thoughtful and engaging way. Thought provoking, heart-wrenching and totally captivating is the only way I can describe this book and how it made me feel. The characters were outstanding and Angie Thomas excels at exploring the complexity of the dynamics between them. This is the best of what Young Adult can offer to readers of all ages – a story that feels true to young adults but also doesn’t talk down to the adolescent reader. The communities that the main character, Starr, has to navigate are so well portrayed – her private school full of wealthy white students and her inner-city neighborhood. Her relationships with people from all of those communities make a really strong statement about how some people in this world are forced to navigate a variety of communities which often contradict one another. It gave me a new perspective on what it must be like to be black in America today – I have had exposure to much of this due to current events but this book made it particularly clear to me in new ways. I could write for days about this book but I really think it’s a book anyone and everyone should read, especially given the race and socio-economic realities of life in America. I highly recommend this one to adolescents and adults alike. This is a book that will help you better understand the things you’re seeing in the news and in pop culture. Don’t miss out on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment