Saturday, March 10, 2018

Review: An Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole


romance book reviewAn Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A Civil War romance with a person of color as the heroine … yes, please! I don’t think I’ve read a romance that takes place in the Civil War but I loved reading about that time and place. As someone born and raised in Richmond, VA, I loved that the book primarily took place in Richmond so I loved hearing about the differences in the city during the Civil War. Alyssa Cole tells a great story … the characters are well developed, the story is well written, the pacing is superb. Overall, it was a wonderful book. I love how strong the heroine was, fully capable and independent as her own person. And that the hero loved these characteristics about her made it all the more fantastic. A fantastic (feminist) romance that I think many readers will enjoy. There is so much good here! I definitely recommend it … even if romance isn’t your thing. I’d say this book has a lot of aspects of good historical fiction which may work for some readers who don’t traditionally read romance. This is book one in the Loyal League series and I’ve already got A Hope Divided (book #2) on my TBR. And a 3rd is coming in the fall. I can’t wait to continue with this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment