Monday, March 12, 2018

Review: Blurred Lines: Rethinking Sex, Power, and Consent on Campus by Vanessa Grigoriadis

book review rape sexual assault
Blurred Lines: Rethinking Sex, Power, and Consent on Campus by Vanessa Grigoriadis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As someone who worked with sexual assault survivors early in my career, I was really interested in this book and seeing what Vanessa Grigoriadis explores as she takes a look at sex, power, and consent on college campuses. There are a broad set of issues explored in this one. It’s got a pretty good overview of the positions of the various players dealing with this issue of rape on campus – students (the survivors and the accused), school administrators, parents, researchers, attorneys and more. It felt fairly balanced for the majority of the book. There were a few areas that I felt weren’t explored in an open and honest way. But, overall, it was a solid book. It’s been a long time since I was in college and the issues have changed quite a bit due to the cultural shifts over the last 20 years. It was interesting for me to read this as a mother of a 13-year-old girl and boy who will one day go off to college and experience the impacts of some of these issues. All in all, I’m glad I read this one and it did give me quite a bit to think about as a mother and a citizen. The author has a very distinct voice and has said some things in this book and in the media that I didn’t love but I think, overall, this book is a good exploration of sex and consent on campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment