Sunday, March 18, 2018

Bookish News: A Weekly Update

bookish-news-weekly-books-reading


10 Most Famous Bookstores in the World

I loved this article on Literary Hub about the 10 most famous bookstores around the world. The best part is that I've already visited two of them ... the Strand in NYC and Powell's Books in Portland, OR. But, I'm adding many of the others to my bookstore bucket list!

National Book Critics Circle Winners for 2017 Announced 

The National Book Critics Circle winners for the 2017 publishing year were announced in New York on March 15th. There are some amazing books on this list so definitely take a look and be prepared to add many to your TBR list. 


Other awards included:
The John Leonard Prize was presented to Carmen Maria Machado for Her Body and Other Parties 
The Nona Balakian Citation for Excellence in Reviewing to Charles Finch
The Ivan Sandrof Lifetime Achievement Award to John McPhee

Stephen Hawking Passes Away

I'm sure you've heard about his death already but I wanted to be sure to mention it in case you weren't aware. I have yet to read any of his books so I thought I'd take the opportunity to tell you about one of his books. A Brief History of Time appears to be one of his most popular books. This book explains where the universe came from, how it works, where it's going. The best part? He uses non-technical terms to explain all of this so it's perfect for those of us who don't have a science background! He also has a memoir, My Brief History, which I've heard good things about. If you haven't read his work, this may be a perfect opportunity to pick one up and learn more about his work!

That is it for me this week ... Have you heard of other bookish news you'd like share with us? We'd love to hear about them in the Comments! 


No comments:

Post a Comment