Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Review: The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne

The Heart's Invisible FuriesThe Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was really late getting to this novel despite hearing raves for months. And I really wish I'd picked it up earlier ... it's a beautiful novel. It think this one will definitely be in my 2018 favorites list. This is a novel that explores the life of a man named Cyril from his birth (in the 1940s) through today in Ireland. It is about family, friendship, love, and identity. The novel tells the story of Cyril but it's so much more than just a story of one man's life. It's so fantastic! I don't want to tell you too much because it was wonderful to just fall into this book. It's a sweeping novel that just took my breath away.

One of the interesting aspects of this novel is the exploration of the political and cultural impact of the Catholic Church on life in Ireland over time. I definitely 'knew' about it but this novel really make it come alive for me. I also loved the exploration of identity - who we are, how we present ourselves to the world and how societal norms impact those things.

I will say that sometimes Cyril drove me crazy ... but I think that was the point! He didn't always make the best decisions or do the right thing ... and I could relate to that aspect. Even if he didn't do what I would have done ... He isn't a perfect character but he is engaging and compelling.

Heartbreaking, life-affirming, witty, thoughtful and so much more! I highly recommend this novel. So good!

[I'm nervous to say this but ... it was somewhat similar to A Little Life but not nearly as emotional or cutting. A Little Life KILLED me whereas this one simply punched me in the gut. But, it has a similar emotional resonance but just a little tamer than A Little Life. But, it has a similar feel in terms of scope.]

No comments:

Post a Comment