Saturday, September 1, 2018

Review: All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin

All We Ever WantedAll We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm an Emily Giffin fan from way back so I was eager to read this one which appeared to have a bit more complexity that we usually see with her novels. This novel explores some very timely themes such as racism, social media use, privilege and more. And I found that I quite liked it. I'm glad to see Giffin working to expand her focus to something a little more 'meaty.' It took me a little bit to really engage with the story but once I connected, I really connected. It was a compelling read about themes that interest me and I enjoyed seeing the different ways that she explored them. Not a heavy read but it does address some substantial issues. This is definitely a great summer read but good for any time of the year, of course. I especially connected with the fact that one of the characters felt compelled to really question her values and the impacts of putting those values into practice despite the potential consequences. That struggle really gave me a great deal to think about as a woman and as a mother. All in all, I highly recommend this one. I think it would be an excellent book club book as it is likely to bring up a great deal of conversation for the group.

Note: I received a copy of this book for free from the publisher for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment