Saturday, August 15, 2015

Review: Uprooted by Naomi Novik

UprootedUprooted by Naomi Novik
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Let me say upfront that I'm not really a fantasy fan - it's one of the genres that rarely calls to me. I actually only picked this book up after hearing Liberty (and I think Rebecca also raved) at Book Riot rave about it. She made it sound amazing and I couldn't resist giving it a try. AND I AM SO GLAD THAT I DID!

Yes, this is fantasy but it's so much more! Although there is magic and it's essentially a fairy tale, it's so well-written and engaging that I have a hard time thinking of it as fantasy. Naomi Novik is such a great writer - she's pulled together an amazing story arc, created such real and lively characters and made it infinitely readable! I didn't want to put this novel down. I was fully engaged in the world that Novik creates and felt a part of the action!

I really would call this novel magical ... there is a sense of such charm in every word. And there is that good vs. evil thematic focus that I loved. The entire story was fascinating. I don't want to tell you much about it because it was so fun to follow it throughout the novel. But, I definitely recommend it to fantasy and non-fantasy fans! I think anyone who enjoys a good story will find themselves intrigued by this novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment