Monday, August 3, 2015

Review: At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson

At Home: A Short History of Private LifeAt Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm not sure how Bill Bryson does it but he is a master at making almost anything interesting and entertaining! I love how his exploration of the home allowed him to explore so many facets of life. I learned so much more than I expected while reading this book! I kept leaning over to my husband to share a tidbit here and there that I found fascinating! Although I hesitate to call it a history of the home as it's so much more likely to explore the various things in people's lives throughout time. It's really a book that explores a great variety of things, places and people that impact private life.

Going into reading this, I was expecting a room by room exploration of the history of each room. That's not exactly what this is. The rooms are really just a conduit to the things that Bryson wants to explore. I really enjoyed what he shared but I do think the title could potentially be a little misleading.

Whatever your expectations, I think you will enjoy this one. Especially if you're interested in history AT ALL. This book touches so many aspects of human history that were fascinating! I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment