Thursday, August 6, 2015

Review: The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

The Library at Mount CharThe Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I don't read a lot of fantasy ... some but not much. It's usually a bit to fantastical for me! (HA-HA) But, Liberty from Book Riot had so many wonderful things to say about this one that I couldn't resist it. It sounded like nothing I"d ever read. And it really is fantastic and it really is unlike anything I've ever read before. In a great way.

This is one of those books that are almost impossible to put into words. It's quite dark and uncomfortable for the reader. It got into my head and wouldn't let go. I kept thinking about it, wanting to get back to the novel whenever I could. It felt refreshing and interesting all the way around. I never knew what was coming and I was always surprised when I got there.

I absolutely loved the way that the story is framed in part by the library and the 12 sections that the various characters are 'in charge of.' Such an interesting and cool concept, particularly for a book geek like me! I couldn't help but wish I could be there, experiencing it in person!

And the characters ... wow. That is another thing that I loved about this book - such rich and complicated characters in this book. Just when I would think that they couldn't be more real to me, something would happen to make them come alive even more in my imagination.

The pacing is fantastic and Hawkins kept me guessing throughout the book. Once I figured out where we were going, I was loving the ride there! This is definitely one of those books I didn't want to put down ... that I had to know where it would go.

It's just fantastic! If you're a fan of fantasy, I think you'd like this one but it's really so much more than fantasy. It's fantastic storytelling - I'd say there is some fantasy, some horror, and lots of great reading in this one. I highly recommend it! I can't wait to see what is coming for us from Scott Hawkins in the future!

NOTE: I was given this book by the publisher for a honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment