Monday, August 31, 2015

Review: The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell

The Bone ClocksThe Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was my first David Mitchell and I suspect that I will quickly be moving through his back list. I now completely understand the buzz that I always hear about David Mitchell. I found this entire novel to be fantastic! The writing was beautiful - let's just say that Mitchell can write! The plotting and how he put the story together was amazing. There were times when I had no idea what was happening and yet I couldn't stop reading. That always tells me I'm reading something fantastic. The characters were unlike any I'd ever read before - complex, realistic, funny, interesting, and more. Mitchell seems to see the world in a really interesting way and I loved reading his vision for this book.

I loved the exploration of time and mortality. I found the pulling together of the bits and pieces to be done quite well. I enjoyed reading about Mitchell's view of the human condition. I felt transported by this story and loved thinking about everything that Mitchell explores here.

Although not a perfect book, I did enjoy the storytelling enough to rate it pretty high despite it's flaws. I'm really glad that I finally read Mitchell and I look forward to following up with more of his work, especially since I understand that he views his novels as part of an overarching novel he's writing. I think I'll go back and read from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment