Friday, August 14, 2015

Review: Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace by D.T. Max

Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster WallaceEvery Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace by D.T. Max
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Although I've only read David Foster Wallace's non-fiction, I've been fascinated with him for some time. I was eager to read this biography in order to better understand him and his work. I'm not sure that I'll ever read his fiction but I appreciated being able to better understand him in the context of his life and work.

For someone who knows very little about DFW, this biography did a great job of bringing me up to speed on his life, his work and his death. I definitely feel like I understand him a bit more. I am glad that I read it but I'm not sure that this would be very enjoyable for people who has closely followed DFW in the media as it appears that much of the book was pulled from interviews, etc. But, I did enjoy the access that the author had to DFW's friends and family which I do think gave the book a bit more substance.

If you are interested in DFW, I definitely think this is worth the read. Especially if you know very little about him and his work. If you're a big DFW fan who has read much of his work & followed him in the media, you may not get as much out of this book. I am glad that I read it and I do continue to find DFW fascinating as a person and a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment