Sunday, August 2, 2015

Review: Sula by Toni Morrison

SulaSula by Toni Morrison
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm slowly working through Toni Morrison's back list and am looking forward to continuing to read her novels. I'm surprised by how readable they are. And Sula was no exception. Extremely readable yet disturbing novel. An exploration of friendship, family, pain and the black experience. I found Sula to be a fascinating (albeit disturbing) character and I loved how Morrison explored many of the themes through Sula and her relationships with her family and with Nell. The women in this novel - they are so well drawn, in all their flawed glory! I love the complexity that Morrison is able to give to the women in her novels even though most of them are fairly short. She packs so much into such a small amount of space! It's quite remarkable!

This isn't one that everyone will enjoy - it explores some fairly difficult territory which won't be palatable to some. But, I really liked it and I look forward to more Morrison in the future. I am absolutely beginning to understand why she's so beloved by so many readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment