Monday, July 2, 2018

Review: The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert

Review: The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert (Amy's Book Obsession)
The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really wanted to love this … so much. First, the cover is stunning … it’s so beautiful! I’m
beginning to wonder if perhaps this book just wasn’t for me … because I just never really
fully enjoyed it. It felt slow and not particularly interesting to me. It had all the elements but they never came together for me.I didn’t find the stories that the book is based around particularly compelling. I liked the characters but they never went beyond cardboard versions of themselves for me. There is a side character who had such potential for me - Finch- but I felt like the character was handled really badly. It really annoyed me, in fact, since I thought he might be my way into this story. The way his character is treated and handled just did nothing but frustrate me. I know the main character is meant to be unlikeable but she almost became unbearable for me which is not something I enjoy. I usually like unlikeable characters but she crossed a line for me and I could never get back to her. Although there were dark and creepy aspects of the book, it never really became fully realized as a fairytale to me which, from reviews I’ve read, seem to be one of the things others loved about it. I’m really bummed that it didn’t work for me but I’m so glad it did for others. I recommend you read other reviews of people who loved it to see if you think it might be a good fit for you. If nothing else, check out the cover which is so beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment