Saturday, May 19, 2018

Review: This Will Be My Undoing: Living at the Intersection of Black, Female, and Feminist in (White) America by Morgan Jerkins

This Will Be My Undoing: Living at the Intersection of Black, Female, and Feminist in (White) AmericaThis Will Be My Undoing: Living at the Intersection of Black, Female, and Feminist in (White) America by Morgan Jerkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’ve been so excited about Morgan Jerkins’ book that I bought it on pub day! I’ve been hearing amazing things about her and her work so this was a great way to engage with her and get a sense of why she’s getting so much praise. If you want to learn more about the challenges of being black and a woman in the world today … this is a great way to get a view into that. Her astute focus on the social, cultural and historical experience of black female oppression really gave me a new perspective. It challenged my assumptions and my patterns of thinking. Her ability to tell a story in a way that will give you nuance and context is incredible. I highly recommend this … I learned so much about my own biases and ways of thinking. I definitely think these essays can help you enhance your own growth as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment