Sunday, May 20, 2018

Review: Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

PachinkoPachinko by Min Jin Lee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have been meaning to read this one for ages … It’s a book that I’ve consistently heard great things about since it was published. I’ll admit that I was a bit intimidated by it … everyone seemed to love it so much that I was almost worried that I wouldn’t! Plus its almost 500 pages so I was worried it would be a potential slog. Well, my worries were unwarranted. This book is SO good. Engrossing and complex … it grabbed me and didn’t let go until the final words. It’s the story of four generations of a Korean family in Japan. I had no idea of the history of Korean’s in Japan so this was illuminating and gripping! Min Jin Lee is a marvelous writer – her attention to detail while also moving the story forward effectively was so well done here! I didn’t want to put this one down … the narrative is so well done! I couldn’t stop thinking about these characters and their journeys. Impactful, rich, and memorable. I enjoyed learning about the Korean culture and how different it is from my own. There is so much in this novel … I highly recommend it! One of my favorites of the year so far!

1 comment:

  1. This is on my to be read soon list! I've heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete