Monday, November 2, 2015

Review: Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America by Jill Leovy

Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in AmericaGhettoside: A True Story of Murder in America by Jill Leovy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I highly recommend this book and think it gives the reader a really interesting perspective on being black in America as well as the impact of murder on communities. It's really good. It is certainly a powerful and moving book that gave me a great deal to think about, particularly given the current state of race in America.

I think this, along with Coates' Between the World and Me, is a critical book to read as we try to understand the impact of racism on individuals, communities and our overall culture. I hope my exploration of these themes in my reading will help me to be more aware and more diligent about learning how to help change things.

I loved how this book made the victims truly come alive, off the page. It added to the impactfulness of the narrative.

I highly recommend this one ... in fact, I think it should be required reading for Americans today. It's an important book that explores issues that are critical to what is taking place in our country today.

No comments:

Post a Comment