Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Everything, EverythingEverything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm quite surprised by how much I enjoyed this novel. I think this novel tells a really sweet story that made my heart feel good. If you liked The Fault in Our Stars, you might want to check this one out. It's a teen love story that centers around an illness. The voice of the teens in this book felt very accurate and real to me. Some of the sentiment expressed about their feelings for one another felt real and true to how I felt at the same age.

I think this is a novel that adults will enjoy as much as young adults. It's not overly sweet or unrealistic as some YA can feel. I think it's just a nice story about interesting characters. It was a fairly easy read and didn't take me long to finish. I was happy to see that the main character was diverse (half black/half Japanese) which I think is something that much YA lacks. I also enjoyed the formatting of parts of the story (notes, IMs, e-mails, etc). I thought it added a whimsy to the story that was interesting.

There is a twist of sorts that I didn't see coming (in part because it felt a bit like a cop out to me). It didn't ruin the book for me but it did make me pause for a moment (and give it 4 rather than 5 stars).

All in all, I definitely recommend this one! It's a nice little story that I think many will enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment