Saturday, May 1, 2010

Review: Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Speak Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson


My rating: 5 of 5 stars





This was an incredibly powerful little book. As someone who spent six years counseling victims of sexual assault, I found this book to be very realistic and honest. I think that Laurie Halse Anderson did an incredible job at capturing Melinda's voice and portraying her in a realistic and compelling way. I feel that the authenticity of this novel takes it from a good novel to a great one. It really made me feel Melinda's every experience - from the rape, to the repurcussions to her journey ... it was so honest and unflinching. I thought that this was a raw look at teh physical, emotional and social experience that could follow such a trauma. I saw this sort of experience play itself out in many of the teenagers and women that I worked with during my time providing crisis counseling. I think this book is great for all teens and adults. Men or women. I think it tells a powerful story that everyone can relate to and find understanding in.

As an aside, the cover is AMAZING! I think it may be one of my all-time favorite covers. It's perfect for this novel!

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. This book is definatly a must read. So many people get raped and this is an inside account of what emotional pain not just physical pain there is. Its very realistic and is written very well. Anderson does a great job.

    ReplyDelete