Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Review: The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee

The Piano Teacher The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
*** NOTE: Listened to the audiobook ***



I'd read a number of reviews about this novel and had found them to be rather mixed. However, I listened to an interview with the author and decided that the premise sounded really interesting so I picked up the audiobook.

I really enjoyed the story overall. I felt that the author did a great job using her writing style to set the time and place for me. Although the characters were not all particularly appealing, I was compelled to continue reading about them and their journey. The writing was beautiful and I think Lee's ability to bring the place and time to life with her descriptions is outstanding. In addition, she made each and every one of the many characters just come to life on the page for me. Good, bad and ugly - they all came alive with complexity and vulnerability. Even the most unlikeable characters came alive for me.

There were some flaws but I felt that they were minor and didn't take away from the story overall. I enjoyed the novel and look forward to seeing what Lee has in store as she grows as a writer!

In terms of the audio book, I thought it was quite well done! I really liked the narrator and thought she did a great job, particularly in helping me distinguish between the many characters of the novel.

I definitely recommend this book!

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. This was my first audio book. I agree that the narrator did a great job of distinguishing between characters. After listening to this, I really got hooked on audio books.

    Although the story didn't keep me at the edge of my seat, I did really really like it. I also think the author's descriptions put me right in the middle of the story.

    ReplyDelete