Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Review: The Likeness by Tana French

The Likeness by Tana French
My rating: 5 stars

I really enjoyed Tana French's first novel, In The Woods, but this sequel blew that one out the park! This is a sequel but you don't have to read In the Woods to enjoy this one. This is a very self-contained novel that certainly stands on its own.

So, what did I like? 1. It's really well written. French has a writing style that is difficult for me to describe but I adore it and feel like it captures exactly what I want from a book - to FEEL something from the narrative. Which she does so well. 2. The mystery/suspense in the book is fantastic. I felt pulled into the narrative, felt impacted by the action. It was simply fantastic! 3. The characters were fantastic. Compelling, interesting and believable. Flawed, complicated and not always likeable. But fantastic! 4. Despite the fact that the premise sounded a bit unbelievable, French pulls it off magnificently! Even as I was reading, I was surprised how well she pulled it off! 5. It's a perfect mix of well written prose & the mystery/suspense genre!

This is a novel that I definitely recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment