Friday, April 30, 2010

Review Musings

I have several reviews for you today ...

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
My rating: 4 stars

What a wonderful surprise this book ended up being! This is such a charming, interesting story! The writing is fantastic, the characters are unforgettable, the story is compelling. It's just fantastic. I was entertained, educated and compelled to think all in one book. Fantastic! I definitely recommend this one!

Tricks by Ellen Hopkins
My rating:  4 stars

NOTE: I read this via audiobook

I was quite taken with this book - it was quite compelling, raw and intense. The book covers 5 teenagers from different places, with different issues (family, background, etc) who all end up prostituting themselves.

I understand that the book was written in verse but there was a very 'novel' feel to the audio book - each voice was different for each character which was nice and added to each individual stories. Although some of the voices were less effective than others, I wasn't bothered by any of them too much.

Each character comes to life at Hopkins' hands - they live, breath and elicit emotion from the reader as we follow their journey into prostitution. The material and circumstances of the book are harrowing, difficult to read and extremely thought provoking. I've continued to think about these characters and their stories after finishing the book which is always a great sign of a compelling read.

This is an excellent YA book that I think all older teens (15 and older, in my opinion) should have the opportunity to read. It really gets to the heart of how just one choice (seemingly insignificant at the time) can result in a spiraling of events that can change a life forever.
 

Frostbitten by Kelley Armstrong
My rating:  4 stars

I wasn't a big fan of the 9th book in this series so I was worried when I started this one but I shouldn't have been. Elena and Clay!!!!! I've missed them. I really enjoyed this book quite a bit. Compelling story, the return of some of my favorite characters and I enjoyed the pace of the book. Great addition to the series ...  

No comments:

Post a Comment