Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Review: The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan
My rating: 4 stars

I saw the movie based on this book when it was released so I was curious to see how it held up against the book.

I enjoyed the book quite a bit. I think its an excellent way to get young people acquainted with mythology. It had a nice blend of action and non-action and the characters were interesting. I really like the premise of the series and think its rather interesting and unique. I can see why so many people love the series and I'll be continuing to read the series. I like the character of Percy but I hope he becomes more fleshed out as the series continues. I really liked the Annabelle character - I'm a sucker for a good strong female character.

As far as the movie and book go, they are very different and yet very much the same. Which doesn't make sense until you see the movie AND read the book. They changed a lot from the book for the movie. They left some significant things out and made fairly large changes overall. I liked both, for the most part. But, I can totally understand now why some fans of the series were not happy with the movie.

All in all, I liked the book and look forward to reading more from the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment