Friday, March 31, 2017

Review: Island of a Thousand Mirrors by Nayomi Munaweera

Island of a Thousand MirrorsIsland of a Thousand Mirrors by Nayomi Munaweera
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I knew very little about Sri Lankan history or it’s Civil War before reading this novel. It did a beautiful job of telling the story of two families – one Tamil and one Sinhala – as they navigate war, migration, family, love, and more. The journey of these families as they navigate their country and culture during a devastating time was fascinating and difficult. I loved this author’s second novel and I also quite liked this one. Not quite as much as her second book but this is a solid debut novel that I really think should be read. It’s components about migration and immigration to America seem particularly relevant today given the state of immigration in the US. I think it helped give me a new perspective on what life is like for those coming to America from a place at war. The things that were endured by the Sri Lankan people during the Civil War will break your heart. This novel is beautifully written despite its brutal subject. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment