Monday, March 27, 2017

Review: Boss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan for Taking Charge of Your Life, Your Career, and Your Business by Nicole Lapin

Boss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan for Taking Charge of Your Life, Your Career, and Your BusinessBoss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan for Taking Charge of Your Life, Your Career, and Your Business by Nicole Lapin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am really struggling with this review because I wanted to love it given my own current focus on starting my small business. And it definitely offers a lot of advice on how to be a boss (of your own company or within someone else’s company). That advice and honest discussion was really what struck me as most useful about this one. I did, however, struggle a bit with the tone and voice of the book. It felt very cheesy in places and it took away a bit from her overall credibility. I wish she’d found a better balance between her wanting to be hip and her wanting to be a mentor. I just didn’t resonate with the tone of the book. I did really find quite a bit of guidance, especially relevant as I’m in the process of starting a business. I did like the suggestions and the stories but I wish there was less of the more cheesy stuff. It would have made more of an impression on me if that was the case. However, it could also be a generational thing … perhaps the ideal audience is someone in their 20s or 30s? I’m in my early 40s and just didn’t find this one to be the best fit for where I am in my life. But, overall, the content is there if you can get past the voice.

NOTE: Thank you to the publisher for proving me with an Advanced Reader Copy for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment