Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Review: The Animators by Kayla Rae Whitaker

The AnimatorsThe Animators by Kayla Rae Whitaker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Nothing in the description of this novel really spoke to me … a story about animators? Not really in my wheelhouse. However, several of my friends recommended it so I went with it and I’m so glad that I did! This is a wonderful novel about friendship, art and overcoming the obstacles of life. Yes, it’s about animation and art but it’s so much more! It’s not a fun or particularly nice story – there is quite a bit of darkness in the narrative. Each of the main characters, through their art and friendship, find a path out of their own histories and into a new life. The characters are extremely well written – multi-faceted and `complex in all the best ways. They aren’t always likable but they are always believable. The story is also complex but in a very readable way. The author doesn’t take the easy way out with the story or the characters. It’s dark with quite a bit of content around addiction and health issues. I was very taken with the story and how these characters used their art to find themselves and heal what’s broken. This is in some ways a love story, a story about friendship and how it can change your life. There is a lot of redemption and passion in this novel. And it’s such a great read! I highly recommend it! It truly packs a punch!

NOTE: Thank you to the publisher for providing me with an advanced reader copy for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment