Thursday, October 15, 2015

Review: The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1)The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What a wonderful book! After hearing some mixed reviews, I was worried I wouldn't love it but I really did enjoy it. I will say that there are some things I wish had been done better but I am overlooking some of those things given that it is a debut novel. I'm hoping the future novels in the trilogy will improve upon this one!

This is a fantasy novel but I found it to be very approachable even for someone who isn't a huge fantasy fan. It is centered around a young girl so it could also be viewed as young adult but I didn't find it to be too youthful or anything like that. Definitely good for adults and young adults.

I love the world that Erika Johansen has created although I will admit that I'd like MORE of the world building. I'm hoping that's to come. I want to know more about the world that this book takes place in. I feel like I was given just a little amount and now I'm eager for lots more! The world offers an interesting mix of feudal society and modern life given that the novel takes place in a future post-apocalyptic version of our world. We didn't get enough detail on that but it was enough to wet my appetite!

I found this novel entertaining, interesting and I enjoyed every moment. There wasn't much of an in depth plot in this one - it felt more like an introduction to Kelsea and the world she's in. I'm interested in seeing if the second novel is more plot driven. This felt a little like 'Game of Thrones light' in some ways which I found interesting.

All in all, I definitely recommend. I can't wait to see where the trilogy takes us! This isn't a perfect book but I did like where it took me and I'm interested to see where it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment