Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Review Michael Symon's 5 in 5 for Every Season: 165 Quick Dinners, Sides, Holiday Dishes, and More by Michael Symon

Michael Symon's 5 in 5 for Every Season: 165 Quick Dinners, Sides, Holiday Dishes, and MoreMichael Symon's 5 in 5 for Every Season: 165 Quick Dinners, Sides, Holiday Dishes, and More by Michael Symon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I absolutely love the premise of this cookbook - building recipes around the seasonal ingredients available to you at any given time. It's such a great way to think about food! And who better to pull together a cookbook about seasonal cooking! Michael Symon is one of my favorite 'celebrity' chefs! He has such a realism and honesty about him that I find refreshing.

What I most enjoyed about this cookbook is the mix of ingredients explored in the recipes. There are traditional ingredients being offered in new ways and 'new to me' ingredients are sprinkled through in very attainable ways. I love that mix. It helps to give me that confidence to try new things but also know that I can dip in for recipes of ingredients that I already love.

The book itself is nice - a paperback with nice paper, simple design and beautiful photos. I do wish there was a photo of every recipe. There wasn't anything fancy here - just solid design, nice photos and easy to follow recipes. Sometimes simple is the best way!

I am eager to try a number of the recipes ... here are just a few on my try soon list:

Quick Asparagus & Goat Cheese Frittata
Sweet Corn Fritters
Fried Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms
Scallops with Chinese Green Beans and Radish
White Bean Crostini with Arugula
Rigatoni with Mushrooms and Sage
Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
Chicken Breasts with Bacon & Brussels Sprouts
Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Pecorino
Mashed Potato Cakes with Parmesan

Overall, I really like this cookbook and look forward to jumping in and trying some of the recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment