Saturday, October 3, 2015

Review: Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy: Four Women Undercover in the Civil War by Karen Abbott

Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy: Four Women Undercover in the Civil WarLiar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy: Four Women Undercover in the Civil War by Karen Abbott
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is such a fascinating book - it covers four women who went undercover during the Civil War. The stories are fantastic and I really enjoyed getting to know these fascinating women. I also enjoyed the general history lesson that I got from reading this one. Very readable and interesting. I wouldn't say its dry at all.

I loved how much I was able to learn about what DC and Richmond, VA were like at this time in our history. Having grown up in Richmond and currently living in DC, it was nice to be able to place things in my mind as I read.

I love that these four women felt so strongly about their cause that they decided to DO something about it. So nice for us to be able to learn about their struggles and accomplishments. I also think this was a fascinating book to read given the current dialogue in America regarding race. Much of the dialogue in the book around the Confederate cause sounded very similar to things I see and hear in the media every day. Kind of sad to see how little we've grown since the abolishment of slavery. BUT, it did inspire me to keep fighting the good fight and not stop learning and trying to move things forward.

I highly recommend this if you're interested in narrative non-fiction, the Civil War, race, or women. It's really something everyone could get something out of! Such a great book - I won't forget these women!

No comments:

Post a Comment