Sunday, November 30, 2014

Review: The Children's Act by Ian McEwan

The Children ActThe Children Act by Ian McEwan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'm starting to wonder whether or not it just might be that Ian McEwan isn't for me. I rarely find myself enjoying his novels so perhaps he and I just aren't a good fit. This book had such potential to resonate with me but it just never did. The entire child welfare court case about religious freedom was right up my alley. And I suspect that part of my not loving this one is related to where the novel takes that case and the issues involved in that case. I'm not going to spoil a thing but I will say that it just didn't work for me.

Ian McEwan is obviously a good writer which I say every time - the man can write! But, I just don't seem to 'get' his stories or style of writing. It just doesn't work for me. But, there seem to be a lot of other readers who loved this one. I can't recommend it myself but others do seem to like it so you may want to give it a shot if the description resonates with you.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment