Thursday, November 13, 2014

Review: Rooms by Lauren Oliver

RoomsRooms by Lauren Oliver
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a really interesting little book that I quite enjoyed. I've read one or two of her YA novels so I was interested in seeing how Lauren Oliver would approach an adult novel.

This is a ghost story but it's not in any way scary or anything like horror. It's very different in that respect to other 'ghost' stories which can be all about the scary. I really think that Lauren Oliver can write - she's got a way with words. And the story in this novel is quite good ... multi-layered and entertaining. There is a lightness to the story that I wasn't expecting that I felt was refreshing for a ghost story. I didn't think the characters were as well developed or attention getting as I like. I didn't feel as connected to the characters as I'd hope but I don't think that took too much from the overall book - perhaps that is what Oliver was looking for?

I enjoyed how the story unfolded and how everything wrapped up in the end. Although not a favorite book, I did enjoy this first adult effort by Oliver and look forward to more in the future.

This is definitely a good book and I recommend it, especially those interested in a ghost story but would like to avoid the scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment