Thursday, November 27, 2014

Review: Land of Love and Drowning by Tiphanie Yanique

Land of Love and DrowningLand of Love and Drowning by Tiphanie Yanique
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This novel may be one of my favorites of the year. I think the great thing about this novel is how it melds together great writing, history and magical realism into a beautiful piece of art! I will warn you that there is a very disturbing plot line that may be difficult for some readers but I thought it was an interesting aspect of the novel that helped me to better understand some of the characters. I didn't find it in any way traumatizing but I wanted to mention it so you weren't surprised by it.

I knew next to nothing about the Virgin Islands before reading this novel. Yanique did a wonderful job of bringing place alive with this book. Her amazing writing coupled with a beautiful and fascinating place made for a magical reading experience.

The characters were fascinating ... flawed and difficult to understand sometimes. But, the interplay of character, place and magic makes for a mesmerizing and seductive reading experience. The plot is very complex and difficult to describe so I'm not going to even try to do it justice. However, I think that the plot was well done given the intricacies of the plot. As a reader, I felt the plot flowed well and really helped tell the story well.

All in all, I highly recommend this novel as I found it to be fascinating and well written! It's what good literature is ... a well written, fascinating story about truly interesting characters!

** NOTE: I'd probably give this one 4.5 stars rather than 4

No comments:

Post a Comment