Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Review: Revival by Stephen King

RevivalRevival by Stephen King
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

There is nothing better than a new Stephen King novel - you know you'll be getting something amazing, page-turning, and compelling! And this novel is no exception!

I enjoyed every moment of Revival - it had everything I look for in a good book! The story was strong, the characters compelling and fully realized, the pacing was great and the themes were thoughtful. The book is totally engrossing and will keep you on the edge of your seat throughout!

In the end, this novel is what I'd describe as unsettling. It's not traditionally scary or anything - it just gets under your skin! King's imagining of some things we all wonder about from time to time is creative and unique. And creepy. But, I wouldn't characterize it as scary.

POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT - stop reading here if you have not yet read the book.

King is such a great writer - there were scenes in this book that literally caused shivers down my back just because of the way he brought people and things to life with words.  One scene that I'd say does that is the scene immediately after the car accident when Charles Jacob's wife is walking with the little one and they are wounded. I felt like I was there - watching the scene unfold because of the descriptive powers of King.

The ending really worked for me - it was imaginative and unique. It's not something we've heard a thousand times. And, honestly, it made me THINK about my own way of imagining life after death. I loved the ending (although I will say that some have not) and think it was a perfect conclusion to the book.

I highly recommend this, especially to King fans. Another high quality novel from one of the best storytellers writing today!

No comments:

Post a Comment