Sunday, December 14, 2014

Review: First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen

First FrostFirst Frost by Sarah Addison Allen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I will say up front that I may be biased in my feelings for this bookas I love Sarah Addision Allen's work and the Waverley's in particular are one of my favorite literary families (the family featured in this novel as well as her previous novel Garden Spells). I could not WAIT to get my hands on this novel as it is a follow up to Garden Spells and allowed me to visit with the Waverley's again. And I really enjoyed this novel - although not quite as good as Garden Spells, it's very close! Since I was a bit disappointed in her last novel, I was really frightened that this one wouldn't work for me. But, I am pleased to say that I loved it and highly recommend it!

In a way, this novel felt a bit like coming home and revisiting close friends. This was a very enjoyable and quick read. I didn't want to put it down because I couldn't wait to see what was to come for the characters! It had just the right amount of magical realism to balance the light family drama. If you enjoyed Garden Spells, then you will definitely enjoy this one. If you haven't read Sarah Addison Allen before, I highly recommend that you start with Garden Spells and follow up with this one. And I also recommend The Sugar Queen which is one of my all time favorite of her novels!

NOTE: This novel will be published on January 20, 2015 so mark your calendars so you don't miss it! The publisher provided me with a digital galley of this novel for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment