Monday, February 1, 2010

Review: Waiting for Columbus by Thomas Trofimuk

 


Waiting for Columbus by Thomas Trofimuk
My rating: 3 stars

I had such high expectations for this book. I really wanted to love it. I went all out to even get a copy since my library didn't have one. I finally got it and dove in immediately. And, um, well, I just wasn't as impressed as I'd hoped. The good - it's beautifully written, the story itself is amazing when looked at in its entirety - how Trofimuk brings it all together is amazing. The bad - it was slow, there was a lot that I just didn't care about as I read it. It wasn't until the last 100 pages that I even could say that I enjoyed reading it. I wish the first 200+ pages had swept me up in the way the last 100 did. If not for the last 100 pages, I'd have given this 2 stars. Which is a shame because it really is a beautiful story that is written so well. It just didn't grab me and hold on tight. It just was ehhh. There were nights when I didn't even really want to pick the book up but forced myself to pick it up anyway. Not a good sign. The ending was wonderful and tied it all together so well that its a shame the first 2/3 of the book was less than wonderful.r

No comments:

Post a Comment