Friday, February 19, 2010

Review: The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf

My rating: 4 stars

I really enjoyed this book - it had a Jodi Picoult vibe but I liked it even more than I typically like Picoult's books. Very interesting story with equally interesting characters. I loved the use of different voices to tell the story in alternating chapters. I thought it was very effective and kept the story suspenseful and interesting. I liked how the story flowed and really enjoyed her writing overall.

The characters were just fascinating to me and I liked that many of them shown to be good and bad at alternating times in the story, as we are all good and bad.

I suspected the mystery earlier in the book but kept reading anyway. I didn't feel like my guess at the ending took away from the ride to get there. It gave me a lot to think about in terms of my parenting and what it must be like to have one of your children missing. I can't even begin to imagine how heartbreaking and frightening that must be. I think Gudenkauf did a good job of putting the reader into the shoes of the parents as they dealt with the situation.

I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading more from this author in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment