Monday, February 15, 2010

Review: The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister


My rating: 4 stars

I was pleasantly surprised with how enjoyable this book was for me! I didn't have any expectations and was so thrilled at how much I enjoyed it! Reading this book was such a sensory delight - I felt as if I was there with them as they made each dish. And, then, felt a bit jealous that I wasn't there to eat it with them!

I felt that Bauermeister did an amazing job of weaving the food, ingredients and the characters of the novel. Each one came together so elegantly and effortlessly. I adored how the simple act of cooking was able to illuminate each character's issues/problems and often provide solutions. Such a wonderful book to read!

I really enjoyed Bauermeister's writing style - very simple yet elegant. Not too fussy or wordy but lush. To the point but eloquent. I find that this particular writing style is not often done well and Bauermeister does it amazingly well. There was nothing overtly complex about the story or the writing and yet it was magical and engaging.

I found the character of Lillian's mother to be fascinating because of my own love of reading. I will acknowledge that there are times when I must pull myself out of the world of books and into the world of life. So, I found those particular pieces to be fascinating!

I definitely recommend this one! It's a truly wonderful escape!

No comments:

Post a Comment