Sunday, January 17, 2010

Review: Song Yet Sung by James McBride



My rating: 4 stars

My review:
I picked this one up at a local used bookstore awhile ago and tried to read it but just couldn't get into it. Then, I saw a few goodreads friends had read it and enjoyed it so I decided to give it another chance. And, I'm soooo glad that I did. I think I just wasn't in the right place to read it earlier.

But, this read was wonderful! I really enjoyed the book - the writing alone is outstanding. I was amazed at the luscious writing ... the descriptions of time and place were just amazingly well written. The author was able to describe the place in a way that just made me feel that I was there, experiencing every single, beautiful word. And, then, by putting that beautiful place up against the brutal and ugly world of slavery, McBride was able bring that time in our history alive for me.

The story is focused on the complexities of slavery - the system, the brutality. And it really brings all of it to life. And I was glad that McBride seemed to bring to focus the fact that no one was able to break the chains of the system - white or black. This was not a book focused on the evil of the white man - it was focused on the evil of SLAVERY itself. No blame really - just a exploration of the system and its complexities. That was quite refreshing and gave me a different perspective that usually seen in books about this time in history.

One element that I really found interesting was how McBride gave the reader a view modern-day African American society through the eyes of a slave. Those passages were fascinating to me. Those visions haunted me and gave me so much to think about.

I really enjoyed this book - very compelling and interesting. I definitely recommend it

No comments:

Post a Comment