Saturday, January 16, 2010

Review: Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin



Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin
My rating: 4 stars

My review:
I really enjoyed this book. Very unique concept of the afterlife that had a compelling story and interesting characters. The basic plot is that when we die, we end up on a cruise ship to Elsewhere, where we begin aging backwards until it's time to be sent back to Earth as a baby. But, it was some of the little touches about life in Elsewhere (the Observation Decks, the Well, etc) that I found most compelling. I thought the themes of creating a meaningful life for yourself were well done and interesting. This little novel gave me quite a bit to think about which was a nice surprise. I loved how Zevin incorporated the animals into Elsewhere and the storyline. That gave the story that extra something that made it all the more sweet. I really enjoyed the story and found myself not wanting to put it down. And I was sorry for the book to end because I was enjoying the read so much! For a YA novel, it was well written and can appeal to both the YA sector and adults. Very good book that gave me a great deal to ponder after closing the book. I definitely recommend this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment