Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Review: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life



Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
My rating: 4 stars

First and foremost, Barbara Kingsolver is a wonderful writer and I think she could write about anything and make it engaging and interesting. I wasn't particularly interested in this topic, per se. I wasn't disinterested - more indifferent. So, I was very surprised to have enjoyed reading it so much.

I talk a lot about eating locally and the importance of supporting local producers, etc. But, I wasn't always great about the follow through. After reading about the experience of Kingsolver and her family, I was definitely inspired to think more about planning our weekly menus around that which is seasonally available and seeking out fresh, locally grown produce.

In reading other reviews, I notice that a lot of people didn't enjoy what they call her preaching about the evils of the food chain as it exists in America today. I found her arguments interesting and well balanced. I didn't feel preached to in any way. I think there was a lot of good information in this book, presented in a way that made sense and connected everything together.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one and definitely recommend it (even if you have no interest or indifference to the topic). It really opened me up to some new ideas about food, farming and how my family eats. I'm interested in incorporating some of what I learned into our day to day food life!

1 comment:

  1. I too am a big Kingsolver fan and have been meaning to read this one - thanks for reminding me about it!

    ReplyDelete