Monday, June 18, 2018

Book Review: A Storied Life by Leigh Kramer

book-review-reading-books



Review: A Storied Life by Leigh KramerA Storied Life by Leigh Kramer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this novel ... it's fantastic women's fiction with a touch of romance, grief and complex family dynamics. This novel has all the elements of a good novel - humor, great characters, emotional resonance and an amazing exploration of grief.

I think what I connected to most in the story was the relationship between Olivia and Gram. It reminded me a great deal of my relationship with my own beloved grandmother, especially as she became sick and needed more care. The journey that Olivia took as she faced the grief of losing a beloved family member felt very real to me. Given the author's experiences as a medical social worker, I think she did an amazing job of making the experience of being sick and of hospice come alive in this story. I definitely felt like she stayed true to life and the details she offered were excellent. There were moments during the reading experience that brought me to tears as it took me back to the moments I had with my own grandmother as she became sicker and as she passed away surrounded by those of us who loved her.

I also loved the romance aspect of the story ... Olivia and Reagan were such an interesting couple. The issues they faced as they came together were really well explored and felt honest and true to life. I was glad that the romance was a bit on the chaste side as it really blended well with the other focus of the book - family dynamics and grief. The family dynamics were complex and true to life. I enjoyed seeing the family grow together through the experience of grief.

I think Leigh Kramer did an excellent job with this novel and I can't wait to see what's to come from her! She's definitely a talented storyteller! I loved this novel and highly recommend it!

NOTE: I received a copy of this book from the author for an honest review.

Purchase your own copy: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / iBooks / Kobo

book-review-reading-books

No comments:

Post a Comment