Friday, June 23, 2017

Review: The Rules of Half by Jenna Patrick

The Rules of HalfThe Rules of Half by Jenna Patrick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a really complex and interesting novel that really surprised me. I was drawn to it as one of the themes of the novel is mental health which is something I'm always drawn to. This novel centers around a man with bipolar disorder, his sister and his daughter. At the center of this novel is the impact of mental health issues on a person, his/her family, and the larger community. It's about being different and misunderstood. It's about finding the people you need in your life, the people who get you and accept you for who you are. I think it did a beautiful job of showing the reader what bipolar disorder really looks like. As someone who sees it every day as it plays out in a myriad of ways, I felt this book did a good job of showing the reader the good and bad. It felt quite balanced.

The characters are fantastic. They come alive on the page. They are complex and feel very true to life. The book flowed so effectively. I just loved every moment of reading this book. It is a wonderful story about love and taking care of the people you love in the way that's best for them. I think this is a beautifully written, honest and real novel about really interesting people. If that sounds good to you, you should pick this one up. It's one that will make you think about your own perspective on mental illness. It's one that will break your heart and yet leave you with hope! It's a fantastic novel!

NOTE: I received an ARC of this novel for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment