Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Recent Reviews - Part 2

A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel #2)A Scot in the Dark by Sarah MacLean
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am having a hard time with this review because Sarah MacLean's books are all amazing - her amazing is better than most people. This one, however, isn't her best. It's good - better than most people's best work. I can't believe that I'm giving one of her books 3 stars but I just didn't connect with this story like I have with all of her others. The love story eventually came together for me but it took over half of the book for me to connect with them. I usually plow through her novels in a day or two, this one took close to four which is unusual. In the end, I quite liked it but I can't deny that it took awhile to get there which is why I'm rating it 3 stars. If you haven't read Sarah before, RUN and pick up any of them. Come to this one eventually. If you're already a fan, you'll definitely want to pick this one up because even what isn't her best is quite good!

Losing ItLosing It by Emma Rathbone
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was really hopeful about this book but I just didn't enjoy it. It was ok, just meh. I'm still not completely sure that any of it was successful for me. The characters felt a bit flat to me. I just never connected with them or felt they were real. The story felt like it would begin to go somewhere interesting and then fall flat. I usually love books that are focused around internal dialogue but this time it didn't work for me. It felt random and, at times, boring. I really wish there'd been more Aunt Viv and less of the main character. THAT would have been interesting! I just think this one didn't work for me. Which is a shame because I was so hopeful based on the premise. Unfortunately, I can't recommend this one wholeheartedly but there are others who've quite liked it. Maybe give it a shot if it sounds promising to you ...

A Bollywood Affair (Bollywood)A Bollywood Affair by Sonali Dev
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It was quite nice to read a romance that had diversity in it. I feel like romances are always focused on white people so it was nice to have some cultural and racial diversity in this romance. In addition, I found the characters and the story to be really quite well done.

I loved reading about the cultural pieces in this novel. It really gave the novel that something special that kept me even more engaged than usual. I loved the hero and heroine in this story. They had chemistry that flew off the page. The way their relationship developed over the course of the book was fantastic! This had everything I love in a good romance plus some cultural diversity which was fantastic! Definitely recommend this one!

The WonderThe Wonder by Emma Donoghue
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is one of those books that is a slow burn. It's not fast paced. It's not going to keep you on your toes. And yet, it's so well done. And it does build steadily and suddenly it all catches up and you're overtaken with how wonderful it all is.

So atmospheric. Beautifully written. The characters in this novel feel like they are real in every way. I felt as if I was following the characters around and watching. The details of the world in that time period were outstanding. There are a great number of moral quandries in this novel that really made me think about things. Such a beautiful story. I highly recommend this one!



No comments:

Post a Comment