Sunday, July 14, 2013

Review: The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie ProjectThe Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What a charming and engaging novel! I wasn't sure what to expect from this but I love books with a unique voice and this one definitely delivers characters with very unique voices! I found this to be a very clever and amusing take on relationships!

Although on the surface this novel may appear to be a light, funny read, I was pleased to find that it was quite a bit more. It's an exploration of differences and how people can grow into themselves and other people. This novel takes a touching look at finding love and friendship, how we open ourselves to people and how we can often get in our own way.

The characters are so fascinating and interesting to read about from the moment that the novel opens. The characters and how Simsion develops them throughout the novel is really the best thing about this entire novel. They take what could have been an OK book and made it come alive! Don Tillman, the main character, is such an interesting man! I kept thinking of him as a cross between Forrest Gump and Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. His quirky yet loveable nature is so well done in this novel. Simsion finds such a great balance with this character which I found made him simply come alive. He wasn't a cardboard cut out in any way. He was well rounded, interesting and ultimately endearing. And Rosie! Well, Rosie just crept into my heart with her tough, independent nature. She is such a complex, multifaceted character. And putting Don and Rosie together is just golden!

Quirky, enjoyable, engaging, humorous and thoughtful are all words that I could easily use to describe this book. It's definitely a well written and extremely readable novel that will resonate with a lot of different readers.

Note: This novel will be published in the US in October of 2013. Thank you to the publisher, Simon and Schuster, who offered me an Advanced Readers copy to read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment