Thursday, July 4, 2013

Review: The Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan

The EngagementsThe Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really loved this novel ... the newest by J. Courtney Sullivan. I met her briefly at BEA this year when she signed my copy of this novel. She was very sweet and kind during our brief meeting. I'd already really enjoyed her second novel, Maine and am eager to read her first which is on my bedside table waiting for me to pick it up. All in all, after this book and Maine, I think it's safe to say that I am a J. Courtney Sullivan fan!

This novel is one of those that has a series of stories that appear unconnected but ultimately come together into a cohesive story. And I believe this one is particularly well done! I was very taken with the characters and their stories, I couldn't wait to hear what was coming next. I love the way that Sullivan integrates the "A Diamond Is Forever" history and the story of Frances Gerety and her role in making diamonds a tradition for engagements.

All in all, Sullivan has written a beautiful exploration of love and marriage. The relationships explored int he novel are very realistic and honestly showcase the struggles and uniqueness of individual relationships and marriages.

I highly recommend this novel. It's well written, easy to read and one of those novels that I just didn't want to end!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment