Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Review: The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth L. Silver

The Execution of Noa P. SingletonThe Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth L. Silver
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I am really struggling with reviewing this novel because I just didn't love it as much as most of the others I've talked to who've read it have. I didn't find myself connecting with this book at all. I usually LOVE an unreliable narrator but I never cared enough about Noa to care what happened or why. Which is a pretty big deal since the entire novel is about her and what happened.

I also didn't love the writing style of the author which I think was part of the reason I wasn't loving this book. Something about her style just never worked for me. I'm still having a hard time pinpointing WHAT it was ... but I can't seem to identify what exactly it was beyond the ambiguous 'it's not working for me'. The story itself was fine, nothing earth shattering or particularly compelling but it was OK. Maybe I've been spoiled by other novels that gave me more - novels like Gone Girl, for example? I'm not sure. I just know that this one didn't work for me.

Unfortunately, this isn't a novel that I can recommend. However, I will point out that plenty of others have really enjoyed it so if it's appealing to you, it's worth a shot since so many have liked it quite a bit. Sadly, I didn't love this particular novel as much as some others have.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment