Saturday, October 27, 2012

Review: Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

Tell the Wolves I'm HomeTell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I think that I've found my favorite book of 2012. THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. IT CANNOT BE MISSED. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone and everyone. It's beautiful - the writing, the story, the characters, and everything else. It's all beautiful.

Books rarely make me FEEL something. But, this one really connected to me in a way that I didn't expect at all. I was so taken with every single aspect of this book. I can't recommend it highly enough. It resonated with me on so many levels. It's a coming of age story but its also a story about compassion, family, love, friendship and growing into yourself.

The main character, June, spoke to me in so many ways - she has such a unique and beautiful voice! She is unlike most people and that is what I really love about her. She knows who she is and she's OK with who she is. She is comfortable in her own skin in a way that I wish we all were.

I am not going to say much because I don't want to ruin the book. All I can say is this - don't miss this book, it's beautiful, it's a GREAT read, and the writing is so good. If you don't read another book this year, read this one. Seriously. It's worth taking the time to read. In fact, its so worth it, that I plan to buy this one and re-read it. I feel like I have to have a copy nearby so I can revisit the story again one day. I rarely (ok, usually never) re-read books. With the exception of Beach Music by Pat Conroy which I have read numerous times. This one is right up there with Beach Music for me - a book you want to revisit again because it gets under your skin!

After finishing it, I immediately called several friends to tell them that they HAVE to pick it up and read it. I loved it that much. I highly recommend it. Without a doubt, this is my favorite book of this year. And I cannot wait to see what Carol Rifka Brunt has coming in the future.

And I also want to note that this book has one of the best explanations of how it feels to be shy (introverted) in an extroverted world ... it hits the nail on the head for me! THIS is how I feel at social events and parties -

“That's what being shy feels like. Like my skin is too thin, the light too bright. Like the best place I could possibly be is in a tunnel far under the cool, dark earth. Someone asks me a question and I stare at them, empty-faced, my brain jammed up with how hard I'm trying to find something interesting to say. And in the end, all I can do is nod or shrug, because the light of their eyes looking at me, waiting for me, is just too much to take. And then it's over and there's one more person in the world who thinks I'm a complete and total waste of space.
The worst thing is the stupid hopefulness. Every new party, every new bunch of people, and I start thinking that maybe this is my chance. That I'm going to be normal this time. A new leaf. A fresh start. But then I find myself at the party, thinking, Oh, yeah. This again.
So I stand on the edge of things, crossing my fingers, praying nobody will try to look me in the eye. And the good thing is, they usually don't.” ― Carol Rifka Brunt, Tell the Wolves I'm Home

What are you doing??? GO READ THIS BOOK!!! :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment