Thursday, October 4, 2012

Review: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp ObjectsSharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Although I didn't love this one quite as much as Gone Girl, I think it might be my next favorite of Gillian Flynn's books. She's very dark and twisty but never boring or predictable! I think this is one of those books that will stick with me awhile - it's almost haunting!

As is typically the case with Gillian Flynn's characters, each and every one of them has a myriad of flaws. In fact, most of them are just one big bundle of flaws. And they interact with one another in extremely unhealthy ways. Gillian Flynn's ability to weave all of these different strings into a really interesting, well paced story. And although some pieces were obvious to me as we went along, others really snuck up on me and made me practically gasp aloud as the next thing was unearthed.

This definitely isn't a novel to read when you're feeling down or low but if you can handle the darkness, it's a fantastic wild ride through dysfunction! It is disturbing and definitely made me uncomfortable at moments but I didn't want to put it down. I had to follow it through. And I'm so glad that I did. I definitely recommend it but not for the faint of heart. If you can't handle darkness, dysfunction, violence and ugliness, this may not be the novel for you. But, if you can handle it, this is definitely a worthwhile read!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment