Monday, April 26, 2010

Review: Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'Nan


Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'Nan
My rating: 4 stars


What a sweet little book - such an easy read yet very impactful and interesting. It's really a character study when it comes down to it ... and the characters really are interesting and compelling. I found the sense of place to be very well done by O'Nan - he really gave you a feeling for the time and place of the novel. At times, I felt as if I was there with the characters of the book, watching them experience the events of the book. It's also rather elegant in a very simplistic way. I loved the simplicity with which the story was told and how it really helped the reader 'feel' the book in a very raw way. The emotional sub-text could be overlooked if the reader focuses too much on the simplicity of the story. The emotion is very real and raw. I loved that aspect and felt it really made the book very powerful. Ultimately, I felt it was a very quaint, interesting novel that I'm so very glad that I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment