Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Review: The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley

The Things That Keep Us HereThe Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This novel has been on my Nook for what seems like ages but the cover image had me convinced it was one novel ... and it was something completely different. This isn't in any way a fluffy, family drama sort of book as the cover indicated to me. This is a family drama that's built around a pandemic taking over the world. And it's really quite good. Not perfect but infinitely readable and interesting.

I found myself a bit frightened given the fact that the events in this book are very realistic ... and could easily happen at any time. That gave the book a sense of urgency that I really enjoyed!

I wish there had been a bit more on the pandemic, to fill in some of the openings but I suspect that the author wanted to put the reader in the same place as her characters ... where things are happening but the infrastructure that we rely on for information is no longer in place.

All in all, I enjoyed this novel and recommend it. It's a unique take on the 'end of the world' tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment