Sunday, July 12, 2015

Review: Dietland by Sarai Walker

DietlandDietland by Sarai Walker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am having a really difficult time with reviewing this novel. I actually really enjoyed it but it was nothing like I expected. And that felt a little irritating to me. However, in terms of message ... I actually really liked it. I just felt as if the start of the book where we meet Plum (who I adored) was absolutely wonderful but it slowly moved from one kind of book into another. From a feminist perspective, I love where it went. However, I didn't love the beginning of the story and the end of the story being put together as one narrative. That didn't work for me for some reason which is why I'm giving 4 stars instead of 5. This is a book that many will not like because of what I've described but I hope they come away with something about societal change and feminism. I think that aspect of the novel was fantastic and gave me a great deal to think about. Although not a perfect book for me, I did enjoy the reading experience and I will miss spending time with Plum! Despite it's flaws, I definitely recommend this to women in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment